Suicide Prevention, Awareness and Support
If you or a loved one is at risk of suicide, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 or Text MN to 741741.
If you or a loved one is at imminent risk, please contact 9-1-1 and ask for a Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) officer.
Suicide is the eighth leading cause of death in Minnesota and tenth nationally. In 2017, 783 Minnesotans died by suicide. From 1999-2017, suicide deaths steadily increased by 53 percent. Suicides are not experienced equally across age groups, genders or geography in Minnesota.
NAMI Minnesota’s suicide awareness programing is funded through a grant from the Minnesota Department of Health and individual donations. To learn more about statewide suicide awareness efforts at MDH, visit their website. To learn more about the Minnesota State Suicide Prevention plan visit here.
If you or someone you know is in crisis and in need of immediate help, here are some resources:
- Crisis Text Line – text “MN” to 741741 (standard data and text rates apply)
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255), Talk to Someone Now
- Press 1 for Veteran Crisis Line
- Throughout Minnesota call **CRISIS (**274747)
- The Trevor Project at 866-488-7386
- Minnesota Farm & Rural Helpline at 833-600-2670
Resources for Prevention and Support
If you are looking for resources and ongoing support, please click the links below for more information:
Helpful Fact Sheets
- Understanding Suicide After a Loss
- How to Help a Friend After a Suicide
- How to Handle Special Occasions After a Suicide Loss
- After an attempt for family members
- After an attempt for individuals
- After an attempt for emergency department staff
- Suicide and Life Insurance
Bereavement Envelope: NAMI Minnesota offers free informational packets for professionals to distribute to families who have been impacted by a suicide loss. Please contact email@example.com for more information.