LGBTQ Connection Support Groups
NAMI offers 2 support groups for the LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning/Queer) community. The support groups are a safe place to confront the challenges that many members of LGBTQ communities face such as social isolation, stigma, discrimination, low self-esteem, anxiety and depression.
Minneapolis – (LGBTQ) Meets every Saturday from 1:00-2:30 p.m., at Living Table United Church of Christ, 3805 E. 40th St. Contact David at 612-920-3925.
St. Paul – (LGBTQ) Meets Saturdays, 1:00-2:30 p.m., at Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, 700 Snelling Ave. S., Room 108. Contact Alec at 952-334-6318 or Briana at 763-489-8086.
Young Adult LGBTQ NAMI Connection Support Group, Minneapolis (Ages 18-30), Meets 1st and 3rd Thursdays from 6:00-7:30 p.m. at Boneshaker Books (Community Room), 2002 23rd Avenue Ave. S., Minneapolis, MN 55404. Contact: Oliver at 503-828-7421 or Newt.email@example.com.
If you are interested in training to become a support group facilitator for an LGBTQ Connection group, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Many in the LGBTQ community experience bullying, violence, discrimination and social rejection due to their sexual or gender identity. Even worse, many can endure discriminatory or ignorant attitudes from doctors or counsellors when trying to seek help. Targeted prevention strategies are needed if we are ever going to reach those in need.
NAMI Fact Sheets
- Basic Steps Toward LGBTQ Affirmative Health Practice
- Being an Ally for LGBTQ People
- Double Stigma: LGBTQ People Living with a Mental Illness
- LGBTQ Treatment Disparities
- LGBTQ Terminology
- Mental Health Issues Among LGBTQ People
- Suicidal Behavior in LGBTQ Youth
- Tips and Resources for Family & Friends of LGBTQ People
- What LGBTQ Consumers May Bring to Interactions with the Healthcare System
- Minnesota Transgender Health Coalition
- OutFront Minnesota
- JustUs Health
- MN LGBTQ Directory
- Gender Education Center
- U of M Gender and Sexuality Center for Queer and Trans Life
- MN LGBT Therapists’ Network
- Meridian Residential Program
- Pride Institute
- Twin Cities PFLAG
- Association of Gay and Lesbian Psychiatrists
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
- National Resource Center on LGBT Aging
- National Youth Advocacy Coalition
- It Gets Better Project
- The Affordable Care Act and LGBTQ Families
- Mental Health Issues and Substance Use among Adults by Sexual Identity and Orientation (SAMHSA)